Saturday, January 2, 2010

Drive, Drive, Drive...

Growing up I've often heard stories from my parents about silly or cute things I did when I was little. One of those stories involves my "first" time behind the wheel. Being an observant (and only) child I decided one day while at my great-grandmothers to take a "drive around town". My mom recalls me going into the laundry room with keys and purse in hand. I sat down on a little stool and then closed the door. From the other side my mom could hear me saying, in my sweet little voice, "drive, drive, drive..." As I got older I remember always being amazed and intrigued in the car. I would sit in the passenger seat and watch each thing the person driving would do. I'm sure I about drove my grandma crazy with the countless questions (why does the light turn? what does that sign say? How do you make the car go?).
One Christmas, I must have been around 5 or so, I got a little tykes car. You know, the big plastic car you petaled Fred Flinstone style. Well, that car was about all I played with for months on end. I was lucky enough to get to keep it in the living room and also got the matching gas station. I pushed that thing all around!
Fast forward a few years and I was learning how to drive the real thing! I had a minor mishap while learning to drive and most of my required 50 hours behind the wheel were clocked driving around a local grave yard. Yes, my mom had a hay day dishing out the jokes about not having to worry about hitting the dead people! After the day I passed my drivers test I was over the moon in LOVE with driving. I would come up with random errands or places just to get behind the wheel. The feeling of driving was a true glimpse into adulthood.
As I got older driving became less fun. After having a simi-long distance relationship with Scott in the beginning, I began to dislike driving.
I quickly realized today how much I've come to see driving as a chore. I guess I was spoiled before moving down here to the Hoosier state. In Ohio we were so close to any and all stores. I took shopping at whim for granted, knowing that every store I could dream of was a mire 10 minutes away (at most!). Today I planned on going to JoAnn's to pick up some supplies. I am learning to quilt and knit and needed some supplies not found at the local Wal-Mart. It was a 45 minute drive to the nearest store! I couldn't believe it! I was reminded again why I don't so much care for driving... and wish we were a little closer to shops!
I did manage to find the store though, sans GPS! ( a huge accomplishment!) and get the things I was needing to buy.
...And I can't say all driving is bad. There are times when I'm alone in the car and talking to God that I feel so connected and close to Him. Some of my greatest times of prayer and worship have happened in the car. If only those times happened more often. Maybe that's a good goal to strive for in this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers